- Look out for the dogs…Paul is referring to the Judaizers.
- Judaizers were Jewish Christians who believed Jews had to follow the Mosaic Law and that Gentiles must be circumcised in order to be saved in obedience to Jewish Law.
- Paul is saying look out for anyone that is not in line with the teaching of Jesus.
- Paul was circumcised on the 8th day at was OT law.
- He was an ethnic Israelite and knew from what tribe he came…the tribe of Benjamin.
- Hebrew of Hebrews likely meant that he was of a long line of ancient Jewish ancestors.
- He possibly even spoke Aramaic.
- He was of the strictest religious sect…the Pharisees.
- And his zeal was that he was a persecutor of the church.
- According to Jewish law Paul would have been considered blameless.
- Of course we all know that no one is blameless.
- what formerly went into the gain column—his power, prestige, and “obedience”—now goes into the loss column.
- Paul counts all he was before, everything he though he gained, as “rubbish”.
- Rubbish in Hebrew means garbage, waste, dung…it literally means poop.
- Remember that Paul said to watch out for the dogs (meaning the Judaizers)
- Paul knows he is not perfect. He is a sinner. He can’t do anything righteous on his own.
- Paul also knows that we must continue forward.
- Paul knows there is more importance on Jesus than anything else.
- Paul has decided and is inviting those around him to make a decision also.
- Join me in imitating me…because I’m doing my best to imitate Jesus.
- walk with me…because I’m going my best to walk with Jesus.
- see my example…because my example is Jesus.
- let me be an encouragement to you so that you will become an encouragement for others.
- It’s called discipling.
- Not everyone will listen and I can’t let that stop me.
- It breaks my heart for those who won’t turn to Jesus.
- Their destruction is their end…it’s an eternity in Hell.
- Remember, we must focus on what lies ahead and our citizenship is in Heaven.
- Believers in Jesus Christ wait on our Savior for our eternity is secure with Him in Heaven.
I Have Decided…
- It’s not enough to just show up on Sunday.
- It’s not enough to just check a box for my Christianity.
- It’s not enough to just claim to be a follower of Jesus.
- It’s not enough to just give Jesus half my heart and life.
I Have Decided…
- To give my life to Jesus
- To say yes to Jesus
- To Follow Jesus
No one will stop me…This is a New Year…a New Beginning…and a New Me because I have been made New in Christ Jesus.