New Year’s 2024 - I Will Hope In the Lord
Read Lamentations 3:22-24
“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.”
- Steadfast love never ceases
- Mercies never come to an end
- Mercies are new every morning
Turn to Romans 5
How do we receive this steadfast love; this mercy without end, new every morning?
- v.23 “Great is the faithfulness of the Lord”
- The Lord made the Way; Jesus Christ
Romans 5:1-11 “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.”
- v.2 we now have access, through Jesus, into the grace that God faithfully promised.
- v.6 proves that the Lord’s steadfast love never ceases.
- v.8 is your mercy that never ends and is new every morning.
Psalm 138:1-3 “I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart; before the gods I sing your praise;
2 I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. 3 On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.
- v.3b Only through the Lord can my diminished, and weakened soul find strength and be increased.
- v.3a On the day I called, You answered me.
I will hope in the Lord because:
- His Steadfast love never ceases
- His Mercies never come to an end
- His Mercies are new every morning
- Great is His Faithfulness